Monday, January 26, 2015

Following the Grain

Following Christ. Do I even know what that fully implies? He set an example of extreme superiority. How can I handle this direction? To be like Christ is more than just doing good deeds. After reading about what He had to do to fullfill the testament, I am humbled at what it takes. 

Sometimes I read the Bible and think that what is implied, is for me. Well, today I came across something I have read a million times but now view differently. It wasn't till I read Hebrews 9 that I understood a deeper meaning to Christ's words in the book of John:

The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified. Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. 

I would have passed these last words, carelessly if it wasn't for what I just learned. Here Christ is predicting His death. He knew His purpose and wished that His followers would understand the power of what He was about to do. He knew that it would be hard to understand, through the world's eyes. They were expecting someone who would over throw the Romans, not a man destined for death. Christ became that grain of wheat. He knew that His death would produce much. 

Remaining alone. Seeing those words makes me realize the extent to which the God head has lost so much. We were created to be with God and commune with Him. Without Christ's death we would be unable to connect with Him again. Forever He would be "alone", without us. 

He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.

After Jesus spoke of what He must do, He went on to describe what we are called to do. God has called us to follow Him. What does this imply? We must loose our earthly life in order to gain eternal life. This doesn't mean that we have to physically be killed for Christ's sake, though it does happen, it just means that we need to leave our selfish desires behind. 

Aligning our lives with Christ's life is where we forget about ourselves and live for His intentions. For a little  while it can feel like we are out of control, like it is all crazy. Those personal wants seem so much a part of survival, but when we ask God to align our desires with His, those wants slowly fade. Not by our own efforts do these things occur. Our natural state is selfish and sinful. God won't ask you to give up so much without letting you know what you will gain. 

See those words? See where it says that God the Father will give honor? See where it says that we will have eternal life if we hate the earthly life? This is where God gives His promise. We have something to set our feet upon. With His promises and His power we can follow Christ. Where Christ goes we may also go. 

John 12:23-26

No comments: