Thursday, April 9, 2015

Breaking From The Earth: What I Think About Work

The whole idea of work has been really influencing my thinking lately. While I was home for a few months, I discovered that to really live I need to take life by the reigns and structure it myself. With no one else's help. That does not mean that others cannot help along the way with ideas, getting things done, and encouraging us. What it means is that we have to be the ones to push through to the goal on our own. Not until we start pushing, will we really understand what it feels like to own our lives. Keeping in mind that in the end God is the complete owner, of course.


As a women, it is my duty to develop a life completely dedicated to God's purposes. Every waking moment should be spent learning, pushing, fighting, treading, and plowing through the difficulties that we face. There are times I just want to sit and veg out. You know those moments when you just want to turn your brain off after a long cluttered day? Ya, I get that way as well. What I am learning though is that those times should be spent focusing my mind on what I cannot do through out the day.


Some areas that I am learning to pay attention to include:

- noticing when my pulse elevates when I think about something stressful and bringing it down by breathing deep
- concentrating on my time spent talking with God asking for His presence to push me forward
- making it an effort to get up and make the bed when I honestly don't have to
- hydrating my body when I wake so that my body can fully function throughout the day
- eliminating thoughts of "I can't" with "I will"


 Don't get me wrong, there are times I spend two hours watching a  movie instead of practicing mindfulness or reflecting with God. There are days when I just want to lay in bed a little bit longer. I believe it takes small steps to conquer big lifestyle changes, so don't feel that I have taken on something intangible. I only want to bring into focus this need that I have been discovering. It has honestly made me appreciate life at the end of the day when I am purposeful. It has also kept me from getting in an evil funk. That moody position that just can't seem to let go. You know what I mean right?


Living a life that is full is where I want to go and I am finding out that God created me to work. It does not matter if it is in a structured company or in my own home. I was designed to take the plunge into what I feel is the unknown and make something beautiful happen. You see how the plants grow in the spring. Looking at the ground in the winter, you would never imagine that something living would break through the earth. But what happens is breath taking. We see how the dull winter turns into green life and thank God for the strength of a leaf, a tree, or even a simple wild flower. We are blessed by the shade in summer, the rustling of the leaves on a windy day, or the perfume bursting from a lilac. 

Let us not forget that our lives should be like this. God created us to grow. What are you waiting for?

No comments: