Thursday, February 26, 2015

3 Ways to Get Consistent in Devotions


I will be the first to tell you that I fall into routines. I will also be the first to tell you that I fall out of sync with those routines and don't realize it till I am knee deep in bad habits or laziness. When it comes time for spending time with God and getting to know more about His character, I find it hard to really find a good moment or even concentrate.

In keeping with honesty, I have been through two scenarios. I have been the working lady who gets up at 5 a.m. just to roll out of bed and make it out the door with some sort of weird lunch (if that) for work. Then there is the other scene where I am a house wife who can eat her breakfast when she wishes. Think what you want of my lifestyle, but this is not the point. The point here is that no matter how busy or not busy we are, we get distracted. We forget to take the time to spend time with God.

We blame it on being tired after working a hard day or on just having to get that laundry done before heading out to the Post Office. We stare at our computers or phones watching surreal lives go by online for hours, not really paying attention. Yet, we just don't have time for God.

Ok, before you start thinking I am sending you a guilt trip, let's get this straight. This all is just a wake up call for you and me. We shouldn't feel like we have to hurry up and get our God time in. Our hearts don't need to feel guilty when we come before God after hours, days, and years of neglect. Personally, I have found that guilt just gets in the way of actually experiencing what God has to offer.

So here are a few things to get you motivated about doing those devotions:


1. Make a List of Questions for God: Sometimes it just takes simple moments to form a relationship. When you get to know someone, you generally ask them questions. The more you ask, the more you find out if they are someone you want to get to know better. The same goes for getting to know God. Luckily, you can know the end of the story, He is captivating and dependable. It sounds elementary to make a list, but it helps to remember what you are looking for while searching through the Bible for answers. Yes, I am saying that the Bible is one way that God communicates.

2. Join a Group of Other Bible Searchers: One way that really helped me to be motivated about studying the Bible and communicating with God, was joining a group of other God seekers. By being consistent with going to the meetings I became consistent in thinking of God. Going helped me learn about studying and that it can be a fun endeavor full of treasures. I didn't have to just hear my own thoughts, I could listen to what other people had to say about their searches and experiences. It made it all real.

3. Just Ask Him For Help: Last but definitely NOT least, we can ask God for help through the relationship. He has a commitment with us and is not about to leave without some kind of sign from us. If we simply ask Him to fill our hearts with that desire to cultivate something with Him, He comes through. I know for myself I get impatient. I want the relationship to be so deep from the get go. Nope, it doesn't always work that way. I have found that God will ease you into it, so that it becomes so a part of your life that next thing you know... you are sitting there with God in the quiet. Not saying anything. Just chillin'. :)


So before you feel like giving up on the whole idea or even maybe a New Year's resolution, just take a moment to make the idea of a relationship with God real. Make it practical and applicable to your life. Draw it out of yourself and lay it down on the table if you have to. Visualize, listen, sing it, whatever you have to do. I am only suggesting this because the Friend that I have gotten to know, Jesus, He has made my life so meaningful. He has taken me out of the darkness of my thoughts and into the sunshine of real living. Ask my friends. They will back me up on this one.

No comments: